7.22.2012

LET'S GET FRIENDSHIP RIGHT

I've been amazed by the generosity of strangers while traveling. Maybe it's because we're all in a similar boat, venturing into the unknown. I've met few people my age; most others I meet are older couples or families, surprisingly. The tours I've been on, I always hope I meet other 'young' travelers, but no, always couples and families. However, traveling among these people, I've learned a lot from them, and they are always willing to lend a hand if I need it. The jungle trek in Ha Long Bay I almost backed out of, because there are giant spiders in there (no joke). But one woman lent me her sarong to wrap around me, a kind of comfort blanket, and another woman lent me her big hat, to prevent looking up into the trees where the spiders were. Miraculously, I made it through, without any spider run-ins, but i couldn't have made it without the encouragement of others. You become so close to people after spending only a few days with them. Even just writing this all down makes me miss those I've met along the way. The friendship of travelers is something so wonderful, so readily given, so gratefully accepted. Pictures from the jungle trek, the largest cave in the world with the famous 'penis' rock, the beach at Cat Ba Island, and the rest of Ha Long Bay...

No comments:

Post a Comment