7.18.2012

YOU'RE THERE AND THEN YOU'RE NOT

I couldn't imagine driving in Vietnam. Walking is already a difficult thing to do. But it always confuses me when I see someone getting a ticket, which has been a rare sight. People drive wherever they want it seems - right lane, left lane, the opposite direction of traffic, on the shoulder, straddling the line, on the sidewalk, weaving in and out of cars, squeezing into impossible gaps, honking at everything. You can stop at the side of the highway to rest your feet up on your motorbike for a nap, or stop at a roadside vendor for a drink or a meal. Helmets are optional. You can talk on your phone, or even to the bike driving next to you. You can squish as many people as you into a car, or on a bike. I can't count the times I've seen a family with a small child wedged between the steering wheel and the driver, with another adult holding a baby right behind. So what could someone possibly get a ticket for? I don't know, I can't even guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment