9.08.2012

I AM MYSELF, LIKE YOU SOMEHOW

I don't think kids realize that the teacher is just as nervous for the first day of school as the students are. I remember last year worried about how to make that great first impression, but this year was a combination of two kinds of fears; I worried about meeting my new students for the first time, and I worried about losing my students from before. At my school, the first morning we get our old kids back. Then we wait as school helpers come around to each class and pick up small groups of kids to take them to their new classes. I watched as bit by bit my class I so dearly loved was being split apart. I was heartbroken. When all my kids had left, I sat in my teacher chair, traumatized. And then boom, in came in my new class. I felt so unprepared. How could I learn to love another class after this devastating loss of my previous one?
But after three days with my new students, I know that I will love this class as well. I will inevitably attach myself to them like I am their mother, their mentor, their protector. I will come to call them 'my kids' like I truly believe it. And I will have to part with them in ten months, heartbroken all over again. Nervous for the first day of school? You have no idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment